Our customers use switches to toggle between two states (like on and off), and the changes should take effect instantaneously. Depending on the interaction, a switch can be either a toggle or a checkbox.
Which one to use, a switch or a checkbox? Here are some tips for deciding which works best:
- Use a switch for binary settings when changes are instantaneous upon state change.
- Use a checkbox when there are extra steps for changes to be effective. If a click is needed, like a Continue or Next button to apply changes, use a checkbox.
- Use checkboxes when users can select multiple items.
Appearance and behavior
Off / On
Off / On
- On/Off labels inside each state
- Fixed text
- Controls content that appears/disappears onscreen (Think how things show/hide when turning on your bluetooth setting on iOS).