The guidance tooltip can be used:
- To point out a new feature
- To guide the user through a new experience
- To help explain why data is being collected
- To help with task completion
Appearance and behavior
The guidance tooltip can be triggered in three ways:
- On page load
- When specific conditions are met such as first time visits or when releasing new features
- On click or tap event (see info link)
The guidance tooltip points to (or guides users to) a specific element on the page. It may have multiple steps (see guided tour). For single-step help, there should be no step-indicator or pagination.
The guidance container slides in quickly from the top of the screen and is dismissible. It remains in place during scroll.
- Close “x”, visible at all times.
- Variable width and height with min 236px (width) x 108px (height) and max values 486px (width) x 172px (height). Note: on mobile, guidance always spans full width of the screen with a max height of 156px.
- Step indicator; recommended unless number of steps changes (is conditional).
- Can contain illustration/animation. Used to help communicate feature/functionality.
- Can contain help/text link.