QuickBooks designers work in Figma, a cloud-based system for creating, collaborating on, and sharing designs. You can ask how-to questions and seek Figma advice in the #cmty-design-figma Slack channel. And general questions and answers are on this page.
Some questions and answers
Updated Mar. 11, 2021
When can I get access to Figma?
QuickBooks designers officially began creating in Figma on Sept. 1, 2020.
How do I get into Figma?
Go to Figma.com. Select “Log in with SAML SSO.” Go through the usual 2-factor authentication with Duo. Check your email for a verification code and enter that code in the browser. You should only have to do these steps the first time you sign in.
You might also get invited into Figma by a team leader. Open the invite email and follow the steps to join your team.
Do I need to start using Figma right away?
Yes. The cut-off date for Sketch, Abstract, Lingo, and Zeplin is May 31, 2021. The cut-off date for InVision is Apr. 30, 2021.
Will Figma replace Sketch?
Yes. May 31, 2021 is the deadline to transfer assets out of Sketch. We’re not supporting the tool after that time.
Will Figma replace Zeplin?
Yes. Figma, Storybook, and other processes replace Zeplin. The cut-off date for Zeplin is May 31, 2021. We’re not supporting the tool after that time.
Where can I find the QuickBooks Design System foundations and components?
You can check them out in Figma now.
Will Figma work with the global marketing technology components?
Yes. We’re also updating global marketing components and making them available in Figma. See them now.
How do I decide which component to use?
- When you’re designing for QuickBooks, use an IDS-QuickBooks component.
- If the IDS-QuickBooks component hasn’t been coded yet and is on the IDS roadmap, use the IDS component in the short term. When the IDS-QuickBooks component is ready, developers can use that.
- If the IDS-QuickBooks component isn’t ready and won’t be anytime soon, use the IDS component if it works for your design.
- If the IDS-QuickBooks component isn’t ready, won’t be anytime soon, and does not work for your design, have your development team do their best to leverage existing components. Try to limit overrides, and if you have to override some specs, document what they were.
- If your PD team is delivering a new component or pattern, they should contribute that new work to IDS.
- If no component exists, have your engineers do what they need to do. And if developers can build their components to become a part of IDS eventually, that is ideal.
How does Figma work with the Intuit Design System?
As Figma is an open, transparent platform, IDS components and guidelines are even more accessible than before. Designers can see the IDS, IDS-CG, and IDS-QuickBooks components readily and quickly incorporate them into designs.
Will developers, product managers, and other design partners get access to Figma?
Design partners will be able to view and comment on design work within Figma using view access. Because of the expense of licenses, we limit edit access to designers only.
Will image assets like brand and marketing photos be housed in Figma?
The One Intuit Digital Asset Management system is now available. That’s where visual assets are archived and reached for reuse. These assets can then be pulled into Figma designs as needed.
Are there guidelines for how we work in Figma?
Working in Figma is different from other design tools. It’s an open platform where we can easily see and share design work in progress as well as final work that’s ready for developers. To help us tap into the structure, collaboration, and transparency of the platform, we’ve drafted these working in Figma guidelines. These are works in progress, and you can help us make them better for our design community. Your feedback is welcome.
Why are we making this change?
Figma gives us a number of benefits:
- A transparent design platform that helps us share more of each other’s work, learn from it, and improve, as well as avoiding duplicate work
- Real-time collaboration within segments, across projects, across business units, and with cross-functional partners
- Ability to provide more reliable, updated guidance for designers as they design
- Simplicity and efficiency in maintaining external design systems sites
- Simplifying workflows and reducing the number of tools we need
- Reduction in spending on numerous, duplicative design tools
How can I learn more?
You can learn more from Figma. And there will be training throughout the year. There will be videos to watch on your own time, as well as dedicated training sessions and brown-bag lunch and learns. Training times will be available for international teams and partners as well.
We’ll post updates here, in Slack, in emails, in training, in all-hands events, and other meetings.
More ways to learn:
Where can I ask more questions?
Ask your questions in Slack: #cmty-design-figma.